About 911 Restoration of Virginia Beach
Meet the Owner
Hank Miller opened 911 Restoration of Virginia Beach and started helping homeowners with their water damage problems after 30 years as a printer salesman. “It was a fresh start for me,” he says. “I was feeling stuck as a salesman. Everyday was monotonous. I wasn’t happy.”
Hank says it was a pleasant surprise how quickly he took to the restoration industry, and a more casual daily uniform: a white t-shirt and jeans. “I get to help people out for living. What I wear doesn’t matter anymore,” he adds with a grin.
“It’s the people,” he says. “My business now is to help out people in their time of need, and that’s way better than selling printers.”
The Millers have a Saturday tradition: twice a month they would help out the low-income Tidewater neighborhoods by providing fresh groceries to families living there.
“I realize why I was so miserable as a salesman,” exclaims Hank, “because selling didn’t speak to my nature, helping does!” By helping people restore their home from water damage disasters, Hank Miller is doing just that.
Damage Prevention Measures
As a retired salesman, Hank considers himself an expert in protecting an investment. He loves giving out preventative maintenance tips to homeowners after drying out their house, especially when it comes to mold growth.
Here are some tips Hank usually offers his clients on keeping water damage and mold growth at bay:
- Don’t wait until winter to check your pipes. Fall is a good season to check your pipes and gutters to get them ready for winter. Wrap them in insulation to prevent freezing.
- Take care of any leaks immediately. Homeowners often ignore leaks and pay the price later. He recalls a job where the entire crawl space was covered in sewage waste due to a pipe bust and it was not an easy feat trying to reason with the insurance adjuster.
- Proper ventilation and plenty of sun are the most effective methods to prevent mold growth. Invest in a de-humidifier for the winter when it’s too cold to crack the window.
“Mum is the word when it comes to mold and insurance,” Hank explains that insurance adjuster often turns down a claim if they hear a wisp of the four-letter world.
Honesty is the Key to Success
When clients call him for a free home inspection, Hank makes sure to give them his best estimate and assessment of the situation. “I really enjoy being able to be completely honest with a customer,” something he wasn’t always able to do as a salesman.
Your best friend is someone who’s not afraid to tell you the truth or roll up his sleeves to help you. That’s the value Hank Miller lives by.
Here are some of Hank’s tips for keeping your property dry all year round:
- Make sure to trim dead limbs off nearby trees so that they don’t fall and damage your roof.
- Check hoses on water-based appliances for wear and tear.
- Rusting on pipes must be eliminated immediately to avoid a pipe burst.
- Never let the temperature in your home dip below freezing.
When you call the water damage restoration experts at 911 Restoration of Virginia Beach, you are calling a friend who’s available 24/7/365 to answer your questions and will come by your home within 45 minutes to help out that same day.
If your property is already awash with water damage, then contact the experts at 911 Restoration of Virginia Beach for all the help you need to get back on track today.